The Work Participation Tool can help to strengthen the work position of Tietze patients.
In the Netherlands, only 30% of people with a chronic disorders or handicap have a fully payed job. For those their job strengthens their participation in society. For the other 70% this “participation” is not so evident and causes financial hardship. Some 15 patient organisations have developed a work participation tool on a website and as an App.
People with a chronic disease or a handicap will most likely end up in social welfare, their business will often will go bankrupt or they make an agreement for a small allowance from the UWV (Employee Insurance Agency) because no fitting solution can be found to maintain a job with their limitations. Work is important to improve the financial position and thus allow better participation in society.
The reason that work participation is not working well has several causes. Very often employers, managers and colleagues are unfamiliar with the disorder. This can cause problems on the work floor. This also applies for professionals and caretakers. But the people with a chronic disorder of handicap them self are not always aware of the effect of their affliction on work, the solutions that can be found and their rights and laws when the situation becomes problematic. This unfamiliarity and prejudice can hinder the communication between employee and employer (and others) and hamper the process of finding practical solutions for problems that may occur on the work floor.
The Dutch Work Participation Tool is meant for people with limitations, as well as employers, managers, colleagues, social services, health and safety doctors, benefit agencies and GP’s. With this tool we want to strengthen the work position of people with Tietze or other chronic disease. Users can find answers on questions on work in relation to their disease or handicap, where to find support for a situation on the job, how to improve the possibilities that work participation gives, or tips on job applications and interviews. This tool is also available on a mobile website. We hope that the Work Participation Tool will take away a lot of cold water fear from employers and avoid problems on the work floor. We hope to achieve that more people with a disorder or handicap can fully participate in society.
To develop the Work Participation Tool, the participating patient organisations have received a grant from the ministry of health, wellbeing and sport. The development track is conform the current trend that everyone should be able to participate to his or her capacity. The participating patient organisations are: Tietze syndrome and Costochondritis Association, ADHD. Grow Hormone Defect, Restricted Grow, Hernia, Headache, Pituitary Disease, Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), Liver diseases, PDS, Psoriasis, Backache, Sclerodermie, Scoliosis, SLE and Food Allergy.
The website (link is external)
The app for mobile telephone “Arbeidsparticipatietool Tietze”, which in a few minutes brings you up to speed on Tietze and work. You can find it in the App shop..
(please note that above sites and info is all in Dutch)